Tuesday, January 28, 2014

RIP Pete Seeger

Photo from Michael Moore on Twitter

A giant voice, the conscience of our nation, died yesterday. Pete Seeger was 94.

From the New York Times obit:
Mr. Seeger’s career carried him from singing at labor rallies to the Top 10 to college auditoriums to folk festivals, and from a conviction for contempt of Congress (after defying the House Un-American Activities Committee in the 1950s) to performing on the steps of the Lincoln Memorial at an inaugural concert for Barack Obama.
For Mr. Seeger, folk music and a sense of community were inseparable, and where he saw a community, he saw the possibility of political action.



Pete Seeger was a major inspiration to me during my high school years, when I spent time with friends singing folk songs, many of which were Seeger's songs.

Now, by God's grace, I have a hammer and I'm going to hammer out freedom all over this land (Arizona).

And together, we SHALL overcome.

No comments:

Post a Comment